Wednesday, July 2, 2008

27 Dresses...

Okay, more like 3, but still. I work for a WOM marketing and media company and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find my own real world examples of WOM. This just happened to me and so I'm going to share.

I have these really cute silk dresses from Calypso that are the quintessential summer dress. They pack easily (ie wrinkles are truly your friend), are very light-weight, and are silk, so they're dressy OR casual depending upon your shoe. I wore a wrap dress to work about 5 weeks ago and it was commented on quite frequently. One person in particular, who was familiar with the brand, really probed me for information. (What other colors? Which size is right for me? How hard is it to wash?) I love to talk about fashion and I think it's a great brand, so we chatted it up for a while.

Today, I am wearing a different dress from Calypso, identifiable because it's silk and in their Newbury Street display right now. This sparked a conversation with the aforementioned co-worker and she said she liked my other dress so much, that she went and bought it in three colors. She also bought another style and a few other things while shopping.

Now, I didn't make her go to Calypso or convince her that this dress is the BEST DRESS IN THE WORLD, but I shared my opinion, the facts that I was aware of from personal experience, as well as an insider information that empowered her to not only look into the dress further, but to actually purchase (and in multiples).

I think that is 3 points for honest, real-world WOM - influencing purchase decisions of fashionistas everywhere.

No comments: