Sunday, July 6, 2008

Newport News

Spent a few days in Newport this weekend, drove down on July 4th to America's "first resort". While we weren't totally psyched for the forecast (gray, rainy, humid), we wanted to walk around, be by the sea, eat al fresco, and watch a great fireworks show. Check, check, check, and check.

We found a room at the Jailhouse Inn - a perfect location for wandering Thames Street. We started our day out with a lucky find (a parking meter w/ 45 minutes already in it, score) and wandered down to the water. The sun was breaking through the clouds, people were out and holiday happy, we found two seats at the bar and ordered a beer. Ah, summer. 20 minutes later we were slurping chowder (my family's favorite) at the Black Pearl and sunning ourselves, another beer down.

After an envious walk along the harbor, we window shopped our way up and down Thames street, scouting for our next meal. There are quite a few really cute boutiques there - more than I remember. Not just bikini's and sweatshirts anymore. I also found myself nostalgic and remembering all the summer's I've spent in Newport...between trips with my mother and my father's mother, I have really seen and enjoyed it all. Having this be our last summer living w/in driving distance to Newport, it was just sad to think I might not be there again for a while.

Anyway, if you haven't been, I would strongly suggest it. It's not overpriced, it's family and couple friendly, there are great bars with live music and pubs if you want something more low-key - the restaurants are random. My favorites for solid food options and consistency are below:
- The Black Pearl
- 22 Bowen's
- The Red Parrot
- The Brick Alley Pub
- Christie's
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk
I've also heard great things about: Flo's Clamshack, Cafe Zelda, and Castle Hill Inn. A quick plug for the most lovely, efficient Starbucks, too.

Hope you had a lovely 4th of July!

No comments: