Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Clio - not just for anniversaries

So after 6 years of living and eating in Boston, I FINALLY made my way to Clio the other night for some snacks and drinks at the bar. Having eaten at Uni once, but being a huge fan of Toro, I know that Ken Oringer would do it right...I just thought it was "too right", like "special occasion with your parents" right. I was pleasantly surprised to have very creative, yet unpretentious food there with high, but appropriate prices given the caliber of food.

We both started with a drink from their drink list - me a shiso mojito, C a saketini of some sort. His was simple and elegant, mine was salad in a glass, but both were tasty. Brian, C's brother works there and he also gave us samples of some of the other creative libations (don't be afraid of the Hanout drink...it's so good) and showed off the restaurants affinity for all things nitrogen. I mean, if you see "LN2" it means that there is some sort of chemical balancing act happening...I felt like I was on Top Chef.

Anyway, back to food. We both went straight for two of our favorite things - soft shell crab and tuna sashimi. The soft-shell crab was tempura fried served with parslane (quite tender) and a magical sauce that I can't for the life of me remember (good mojito) but we couldn't get enough of it! The crab was so meaty and tender and delicious - the best I've had in a long, long time.

The tuna was also amazing - it was topped with these thinly sliced strips of green onions and seaweed, black and white sesame seeds, and a light garlicky, ginger vinaigrette. There was a piece of a "roll" which was thinly sliced wonton wrappers, deep fried and topped with tuna tartar...we fought over who got to finish that (I had the bigger bite).

The last and most simple dish was a tri-stack of Heirloom tomatoes - black and red Brandywine I think - with green goddess dressing and crispy, fried clams...unbelievably delicious and light. Perfect (and surprise) ending - thank you Alec!

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I never went because I thought that Radius and No. 9 Park were more my "level"...what a strange mentality...it's expensive, but no more than any of the other top restaurants in Boston. Plus, it's cozy and intimate - head there in the fall for a night out at the bar and see what I mean!

No comments: