Monday, June 30, 2008

Orzo Pasta Salad

Last night I really wanted a fresh, light pasta salad...though I can't stand the traditional fusilli and Italian dressing version (like you are surprised). A friend of mine reminded me of the fabulous and oft-overlooked orzo pasta and I immediately thought of feta, pine nuts, parsley (oh, my).


I used/made up the following recipe and thought it turned out deliciously...exactly what I wanted it to be...sorry, no pictures, totally forgot.


1 cup Orzo pasta
2/3 cup diced grape tomatoes
1/3 of a red onion (diced)
1 handful of toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup cubed/crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon (for juice)


Make the orzo according to the package (boil) w/o fat. Drain and rinse with cold water. Toss w/ the olive oil to coat. Add the next 4 ingredients, topping w/ the feta cheese. Optional: add a handful of arugula to your plate and put the pasta salad on top. I did this because I love arugula and it adds that peppery punch to the pasta.

We served this alongside salt and pepper roast chicken and it was a great complement. Also great for lunch today.


Buon appetito!

No comments: