Friday, March 21, 2008

B&G + me = A+ lunch

Not that you needed that weird equation, but go with it...It's Restaurant week and honestly, I've only gone out once all week...it's just been another nutty week and [insert adjective here: cold/rainy/windy/busy]. I went with a good friend/colleague to a Friday treat lunch at B&G.

The place was packed, first of all, with patrons all along the open kitchen bar seats and at every table. It was great for us, though, because we were seated right in the thick of it all, in the center of the bar. No later than 2 minutes after presenting us with menus had we decided our order. For me, the lobster bisque followed by the salmon croquettes. M had shrimp bruschetta followed by ocean perch.

The lobster bisque was super rich - cream, sherry, butter and all their friends came to play in that soup. In the center was an unnamed fried mashed potato thing...but my favorite part was the celery leaf garnish. Added such a taste of spring to this soup and cut the richness. M's bruschetta was great - it was white beans, arugula, and two huge shrimp on a crusty baguette.

For the second course, my salmon croquettes came over a pea puree (another sign of spring) and a watercress salad. I think overall the dish was nice, but would have been great with an acid or a sprinkle of salt. M had the pan seared perch over a fennel, radish, olive salad...quite delicious, too.

We both splurged on dessert with a salted caramel gelato and a tuile - luscious. I want it everyday. Overall, the experience was great, I think M ordered better though. Food for thought!

No comments: