Friday, December 19, 2008

Perennial (favorite)

Living on the "edge" of Lincoln Park, C and I have a pretty restaurant accessible location. We are not in the midst of the hot spots, per se, but there are decent places in walking distance. Anyway, a new place opened up about the time we moved here in August - Perennial. While we have tried to go only once (it was their brunch opening), we have been wanting to try it for quite some time. What I love is that they are directly across the street from the Green City Market and use a lot of the fresh ingredients from the market in their food.

My company holiday party was there for an afternoon last week. It was primarily passed appetizers, a limited buffet and an UN-limited bar - isn't that a good equation? I am writing this based on my professed love of the passed apps...honestly, they were fabulous. Written from my (somewhat) foggy memory, here's what they served us:
Corn and crab hushpuppies
Semolina gnocchi with butternut squash puree
Potato bites with red pepper coulis
Ahi sushi with a ponzu sauce

My favorites were the hushpuppies (an overlooked southern food) and the gnocchi (nontraditional and delicious). The texture of the potato bites was a little off for me and the sushi was good, with a tad too much sauce. Given that none of these options are on their regular menu, the point might be moot...BUT, my thoughts are this: if their catering for 250 is this good - hand me the dinner menu.

Check it out.

P.S. It is the same restaurant group as BOKA and Landmark...good kin.

No comments: