Monday, November 17, 2008

Sultan's Market Falafel

For a late (late) Sunday lunch, C and I headed up the street to Sultan's Market - a place that I'd been wanting to try since before we moved in. We're huge falafel fans (and c'mon, I'm Armenian) and love Middle Eastern food - plus it was supposed to be "cheap eats" and who doesn't love that?

We bused ourselves up Clark (it was freezing) and ordered up two falafel pitas with hummus. As we were on the late side (3:30pm) there was a lot of empty space in the hot bins, though the salad bar was fully stocked with cheeses, olives, pickled peppers, and tabbouleh. We skipped that in favor of something warm and crunchy.

The young guy making our pitas was generous with the falafel and hummus and all the extras - we ordered them "medium spicy" and the proportion of everything was great. The falafel was a little dry, to be honest, but the cucumber-yogurt sauce and the hummus helped. I was surprised that the falafel weren't hot - they were warm at best...and I just think that all falafel should be crispy, warm goodness. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, due to the timing of the lunch (which I keep saying) so we'll see what happens the next time.

Side bar point - what a great website?! For a local chain and quick-service restaurant, I was very impressed.

Also, I would like to point out that, in comparison, I prefer the falafel at Taza (on Franklin, in the loop). I am going to get C over there for his perspective and we'll write something up!

No comments: