Monday, December 17, 2007

Snow Day(s)

If, like me and the majority of the Eastern seaboard, you were snowed in this weekend, you likely watched a lot of TV and ate some comfort food. We were affixed to the couch this weekend, literally only moving for satiation (cheeseburgers, chinese delivery, Whole Foods). We went through two-thirds of The Godfather trilogy, so we felt like we'd at least accomplished SOMETHING.

I think that snow makes me want comfort foods and I had a super craving for New England clam chowder...I just am particular about my chowder so I decided to make my own. Something full of veggies, not too creamy, but perfect clam/milkiness. Here is the recipe that I followed, compliments of Cooking Light.

4 (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped clams, undrained
2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
4 bacon slices
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups cubed red potato
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup half-and-half

Drain clams through a colander into a bowl, reserving liquid and clams. Combine clam liquid and clam juice.

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp (about 7 minutes). Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.

Add onion, celery, and garlic to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add clam juice mixture, potato, and next 4 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender.

Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until smooth; add to pan. Stir in clams and half-and-half. Cook 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Top with bacon crumbles.

We had a side salad of marinated tomatoes and mixed greens and a crusty baguette - delicious. I now feel ready for the next snow day!

No comments: